Keep in mind that your spouse’s lack of response won’t stop you from having your divorce granted. In this situation, it’s imperative that your spouse received formal notice of the Original Petition of Divorce. The safest way to insure a spouse was given official notice is by having him or her served by a sheriff’s deputy, constable or private process server. Once this is accomplished and the 20 day answer period has lapsed, you can seek a default divorce judgment on the 61st day after filing for divorce.