If you want to change your name at the time of divorce, it’s actually called a "restoration of former name." Although name changes are more common for the wife, either spouse may change their name back to a name he or she has used before. For example, a wife may go back to her maiden name or to a name from a previous marriage. However, you must go back to a name that you have used in the past. You can’t make up a brand new name.

If you have children with the same last name as you, I’d ask you to think long and hard before deciding to change your name. Divorce is difficult enough as it is on kids without them having to deal with a parent changing their last name to something different than theirs.