CHAPTER 236. COMPETITIVE BIDDING FOR CHILD SUPPORT COLLECTION SERVICES
Sec. 236.001. DEFINITION. In this chapter, "council" means the State Council on Competitive Government.
Added by Acts 1997, 75th Leg., ch. 420, Sec. 27, eff. Sept. 1, 1997. Renumbered from Family Code Sec. 234.001 by Acts 1999, 76th Leg., ch. 62, Sec. 19.01(25), eff. Sept. 1, 1999.
Sec. 236.002. POWERS AND DUTIES OF COUNCIL. (a) The council shall:
(1) establish an initiative called "Kids Can’t Wait" to increase child support enforcement;
(2) identify child support enforcement functions performed by the Title IV-D agency that may be competitively bid;
(3) establish guidelines for referral of child support enforcement cases to a contractor;
(4) after consulting with the Title IV-D agency, make recommendations regarding competitive bidding of child support enforcement functions that are identified under Subdivision (2);
(5) consider the benefits of the state’s participation in an electronic parent locator network or a similar national service designed to locate parents who owe child support;
(6) study the feasibility of cost recovery options in child support collection actions for children who do not receive public assistance; and
(7) engage in other activities necessary for the administration of this chapter.
(b) The Title IV-D agency shall coordinate with the council regarding competitive bidding of child support enforcement functions identified under this section.
(c) A member of the council may designate an employee of the state agency represented by the member to perform any of the member’s powers or duties under this section.
(d) The Title IV-D agency shall cooperate with the council if requested by the council.
(e) The council and the Title IV-D agency shall report not later than October 1, 1998, to the presiding officer of each house of the legislature the results of the council’s efforts under this section.
Added by Acts 1997, 75th Leg., ch. 420, Sec. 27, eff. Sept. 1, 1997. Renumbered from Family Code Sec. 234.002 by Acts 1999, 76th Leg., ch. 62, Sec. 19.01(25), eff. Sept. 1, 1999.
Sec. 236.003. CHILD SUPPORT COLLECTION AGREEMENT. The Title IV-D agency or a contractor awarded a contract under this chapter to collect child support may enter into an agreement with a person liable for the payment of child support. The agreement may relate to any matter that may be adjudicated by a court, including:
(1) the determination of paternity;
(2) the determination of the amount of child support due;
(3) the method of making child support payments;
(4) the imposition of income garnishment or withholding;
(5) the payment of fees;
(6) the reimbursement of costs; and
(7) other child support enforcement matters permitted by state or federal law.
Added by Acts 1997, 75th Leg., ch. 420, Sec. 27, eff. Sept. 1, 1997. Renumbered from Family Code Sec. 234.003 by Acts 1999, 76th Leg., ch. 62, Sec. 19.01(25), eff. Sept. 1, 1999.