Most likely not. However, relieving yourself of the payments will take a trip to court, even with the child in your custody. A handshake agreement between parents on support payments when custody changes isn’t good enough. All agreements between divorced parents must be reduced to the form of a court order. Otherwise, by court records you are in arrears, subject to court ordered payment of the arrearage. This can be followed by a judgment placed on any real property for the amount owed, or even garnishment.