The service person may file for divorce in the county of Texas in which they reside. If a person serving overseas is served with divorce paperwork from their spouse, they have the right to postpone the proceedings by invoking the The Soldiers’ and Sailors’ Civil Relief Act of 1940 (“SSCRA”), a federal statute designed to “protect those who have been obliged to drop their own affairs to take up the burdens of the nation.”